Respected Tacoma Attorneys Seek Compensation for Spinal Injuries
Dedicated representation for harm from accidents and surgical malpractice
A serious spinal cord injury changes your life forever. To face the challenges confronting you, you’ll need full and fair compensation for your economic losses and the losses to your quality of life. The law allows you one chance to file a claim, so your choice of the attorney to represent you could be the most momentous decision of your life. Rush, Hannula, Harkins & Kyler, L.L.P. provides experienced, client-centered and team-oriented representation. Since 1959, we’ve fought for seriously injured clients, rewarding their confidence in us with our determined efforts to obtain the full measure of compensation to which they are entitled.
Accident-induced trauma leads to paraplegia or quadriplegia
The most common causes of serious spinal cord injury are motor vehicle accidents and falls. In each instance, an impact causes compression or bending of the spinal cord that bruises or breaks nerve fibers necessary for transmitting nerve impulses. The victim can lose some or all motor function below the point of injury. If the injury occurs high on the spinal column, the victim may lose use of the arms and legs (quadriplegia); if the injury occurs below the neck, the victim might lose use of the legs and suffer impaired abdominal functions (paraplegia).
Spine surgery malpractice results in chronic pain or paraplegia
Surgical science has developed several methods for alleviating back and neck pain by decompressing areas around the nerves and stabilizing areas where degenerative injuries have occurred. Common procedures include:
- Discectomy — Surgery to remove herniated disc material that is pressing on a nerve root or the spinal cord
- Spinal fusion — Any of several procedures using bone grafts to eliminate painful motion of vertebrae.
- Laminectomy and laminotomy — Removal of all or part of posterior arch of the vertebral bone to relieve pressure on the spinal cord or nerve roots
While surgeons claim a success rate as high as 80 percent, serious errors also occur, inflicting unnecessary pain and requiring additional surgery to correct. In some cases, the damage due to surgical error is permanent. Common surgical mistakes include:
- Incision errors — Scalpels or lasers can damage blood vessels and nerves.
- Misplacement of surgical hardware — Some procedures require screws and plates that must be properly positioned.
- Anesthesia errors — A risk with any surgery, an anesthesia error that allows a patient to awaken during spinal surgery is particularly dangerous.
- Failures in postoperative monitoring — Postoperative infections, hematomas and blood clots can cause serious repercussions, including paraplegia.
Proving that surgical malpractice caused an increase in back pain or permanent disability is not easy. Fortunately, our attorneys have vast experience in complex malpractice litigation. We’re well versed in surgical protocols and have longstanding relationships with qualified experts whose participation is crucial to your case’s success.
Contact an established and reputable spinal injury law firm in Tacoma, Washington
A permanent spinal injury requires compensation for your lifetime. The dedicated lawyers of Rush, Hannula, Harkins & Kyler, L.L.P. are committed to securing the maximum damage recovery possible. Call 253.250.4516 or contact us online to arrange your free consultation.