Top Ten Causes of Traffic Accidents in Washington
Tacoma car crash attorneys offer advice on how to stay safe
Establishing the cause of an accident is essential if a victim wants to obtain compensation. But what’s even more important is for drivers to be mindful of conditions or behaviors that lead to accidents, and to take prudent steps to avoid them. At Rush, Hannula, Harkins & Kyler, L.L.P., we dedicate our efforts to recovering damage awards for our injured clients. We’d like you to put your best efforts toward avoiding traffic accidents whenever possible.
What are the leading causes of vehicle accidents in the Tacoma area?
Safe driving requires concentration, forethought, patience and skills honed over time. Here are the top reasons that accidents occur:
- Aggressive driving — A driver’s attitude toward safety is an important factor when it comes to avoiding accidents. Anger and stubborn resentment often lead to unsafe practices, including speeding, failure to yield and tailgating.
- Alcohol or drug impairment — Driving under the influence (DUI) is illegal, and the penalties are severe when impaired driving results in a DUI accident.
- Animals — When animals cross or get loose on the road, chaos can ensue. The insurance industry estimates that deer-vehicle collisions top 1.2 million each year nationally, with 200 human fatalities and an annual cost of $4 billion.
- Defective auto parts — Faulty brakes, stuck accelerator pedals and blown-out tires can cause a driver to lose control of a vehicle.
- Distraction — Taking your eyes off the road for any reason, most notably cell phone use, can lead to disaster.
- Fatigue — Fatigue can be as debilitating to a driver as alcohol or drug use. Recognizing this, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration limits the number of hours a commercial truck driver can operate.
- Inattentiveness — Distracted driving means focusing on something other than driving, but inattentiveness is the failure to concentrate on the basic tasks associated with driving, such as checking one’s mirrors and blind spot and signaling before making a lane change.
- Road conditions — Ruts, potholes and broken surfaces are a few of the hazards drivers experience when authorities delay maintenance. Poor drainage, insufficient lighting, improper grading and sharp turns may be the result of a defective design in the highway.
- Speeding — Traveling above the posted speed limit is one of the leading causes of accidents, because it reduces the amount of time a driver has to react to something unexpected on the road ahead, and makes it more difficult to stop or perform an evasive maneuver.
- Weather — Rain, snow and fog can hamper visibility, while ice or water can make a car impossible to stop or control.
See an experienced Tacoma auto accident attorney about your personal injury claim
Understanding what causes traffic accidents is the first step to preventing them. But If you’ve been injured in an auto accident, speak to a skilled trial lawyer at Rush, Hannula, Harkins & Kyler, L.L.P. To schedule a free consultation and case evaluation, call us at 253.250.4516 or contact our office online.